National Scrapbook Day Hop 2015

5.02.2015


Happy National Scrapbook Day 2015!! Today, scrapbooking takes on many different forms from the traditional 12x12 layouts to smaller formats like 8.5 x 11, 6x6 and the ever growing popular pocket scrapbooking. Whichever form you prefer, we are all story tellers and love to preserve our family memories for generations to come. That is why I love that we take out the first Saturday each May to celebrate this wonderful hobby. Today I'm sharing this 12 x 12 layout I created using several different mixed media products. I must admit this background started out as an experiment, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it or not but once it was dry I loved it. I got the idea for this layout from watching Missy Whidden's You Tube Videos. She always uses this plastic bag , watercolor, and mist technique to add  color to her backgrounds. You can check out her You Tube videos HERE to see what I'm talking about. When I first saw Missy using this technique I knew I had to try it.


Instead of using a smaller sized plastic bag I used one of those over sized Ziploc bags that are a little bigger then a 12 x 12 sheet of cardstock. I started by randomly misting one side of the Ziploc bag with Tattered Angles Blue Ribbon Chalkboard Mist. Once I had a large area misted I flipped the Ziploc bag over and gently pressed it over my 12 x 12 sheet of teal cardstock. I gently applied pressure to the Ziploc bag with my fingers and moved the mist all around the cardstock to get the look I desired. Once the blue background color was dry I added some stenciling with an old stickers sheet, a Faber-Castell stamper's big brush pen, and a black pen. 


To add another texture to my background I added some text stamping in black right over all my stenciling and misted background. And I couldn't resist adding in some vellum, acrylic, and wood veneer embellishments. Below is a close up of the title area...I used some bright pink glittered Thickers from American Crafts, which I sprayed with the same Tattered Angles Blue Ribbon Chalkboard Mist I used for my background. 


As you hang out at crops at your Local Scrapbooking Store or perhaps just have a group of friends over for an in home crop, we have a wonderful hop here to inspire you as you pull out your pictures, papers, embellishments and the ever important adhesive to hold all these together and tell your stories! We have a great group of bloggers and scrapbookers just like you joining us today so I hope you will take a moment to visit each one.




Clearsnap_header

Scrapbook Adhesives Logo with reg pink


We also have two amazing sponsors for this blog hop. Clearsnap is giving away five stamp pads of winners choice and Scrapbook Adhesives is giving away a grab bag worth $25. Use the widget at the end of this post to enter to win and be sure to visit all of the blogs on the hop:


a Rafflecopter giveaway

Supplies: Cardstock- / Patterned Paper- Heidi Swapp Mixed Company Collection / American Crafts Thickers- Shoebox Pink / Canvas Corp Stamp Set- Savor The Moment / Tattered Angles Chalkboard Mist- Blue Ribbon / CTMH Ink Pad- Black / Faber-Castell Stamper's Big Brush Pen- Pink Madder Embellishments- Heidi Swapp, Crate Paper, Elles Studio / Black Pen

13 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

great background ~ gorgeous!

Hydrangea Hippo - Jennifer Priest said...

Love this look! I also love that you shared the person who inspired you and their video. You're totally a class act. AND you scrapbooked your cat? We should talk more :)

Hydrangea Hippo - Jennifer Priest said...

Love this look! I also love that you shared the person who inspired you and their video. You're totally a class act. AND you scrapbooked your cat? We should talk more :)

Hydrangea Hippo - Jennifer Priest said...

Love this look! I also love that you shared the person who inspired you and their video. You're totally a class act. AND you scrapbooked your cat? We should talk more :)

Joi at RR said...

Heheheheh - such a cute kitty! So neat how you did the background with the plastic bag... it looks super. And I have those Thickers letters in the bright pink - never thought of spraying them down to a nicer color - GREAT idea - allow me to steal it please and thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your page made me smile.... love it. j.

Teresa Godines #6857 said...

I love your experiment. it is great when they turn out well. TFS

Madge Gillen said...

What a great job on your layout!!! I am loving the different techniques that you used!!!! I love it too when experiments turn out to our advantage!!! Hugs- Madge

Steph Ackerman said...

awesome layout - love the kitty.

Leslie said...

Love this! thanks for sharing

Jean Bullock said...

I love seeing pets scrapped. Makes me wish I had more pictures of our kitty.

chignon said...

Very cool layout and great technique ideas. TFS!

Robin B. said...

Fantastic layout! I love the colors and background. Thanks for sharing.

Dana Tatar {datatar} said...

I love this background Amber!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS